Tuesday, September 14, 2010

C25K: Week 4 Update

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better."
--Juha Vaatainen

I have been horrible about writing updates for the "Couch to 5K Running" plan that I'm doing. Really though, there hasn't been that much to say up until Week 4. That's because Week 4 basically kicked my butt. haha On Friday 10th I started Week 5, which is challenging too. Think the last few weeks of the program will be increasingly harder but that's okay. :)

Week 4 consisted of this plan for all three days (I run on Monday, Wednesday & Friday):

Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-2.5 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

I think what was the most challenging about the above plan was the increase of alternating walking and running. Also, the length of running time is significantly increased from Week 3. In Week 3 you only alternate four times.

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying this entire running plan so far. I love how it has gradually built up my stamina-- focusing on the time versus the mileage has been a better perspective for me. Plus, I feel like I run farther when I just focus on the time. Speaking of which, with this plan I have been running ALL over the neighborhood. Since I know I have to run for either 3 minutes or 5 minutes (etc...) I have to be creative with the routes I take. I have to take routes that will allow me to run safely and also finish the running plan for the day (usually I try to end at home but a lot of times the end of my run occurs a couple of blocks before my house. Thus, I just end up walking rest of the way and /or running real slow).

I find it so refreshing to see new places once and awhile. I am feeling a little limited though because there are quite a few busy roads where I live and some streets don't have sidewalks. I tried a new route yesterday and didn't feel too great about the location... Need to figure out somewhere new! When I'm finally running for 30 minutes I know of some good places to go-- they're old cross country practice runs.

Running is sooooo good! I just love how it makes me feel all over. During the day after my run, I always feel like I can breathe easier and fuller. I love how my muscles feel when they've been stretched and well-used. I also love how running clears my head. Sometimes I don't even think when I run-- I love that mental quietness. Just me, the pavement, the sun beating down (if I'm lucky- certainly was yesterday), sweat beading up on my skin, my leg muscles powering me through and the entertainment of fellow humans and nature. :) Love, love, love!

1 comment:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You are such a runner! I can tell by the last paragraph, you captured it perfectly!