Monday, November 29, 2010

My November Summary

I'm following my cousin's lead and finally writing about the events of November. I have sort of dropped off the edge of the earth this month. As usual, it's due to work, school, and the busyness of life. From the few blogs I have been able to read, as of recently, it seems as though many are in the "November Slump."

There just hasn't been motivation to write these days. Not sure why but I suppose that's a result of my brain not having a chance to really settle. I also don't like writing when I don't feel coherent! I've mulled several things over but then I just can't seem to get them out. Oh well... it all comes together at some point.

Anyway, I'll sort of summarize what this month has been like (sorry cousin, the list thing is my style too so this post is going to be similar to yours, though differing in a few events!):
  • Granny Fell Again-- 3 months later: Sadly, Granny fell again on November 11th. She was getting ready for the day, and at some point became lightheaded and fell down, breaking her other femur. Granny was alone in her home, but thankfully she was able to grab the emergency cord for help. I remember Mom telling me the news and feeling so sad for Granny. She had improved so much after her first fall, she was just getting used to a cane. Unfortunately though, she is kind of back to square one again like the first time. She went through the same surgery for her new break, but with less issues from the anesthesia. Thankfully, the recovery has been much faster this time around. She's also had an appetite and was able to get into a rehab center quickly. Last Sunday I was able to visit her with my Mom. So encouraging to see how she's doing! Let me tell you, that woman refuses to quit on life! God has given her so much strength of mind, body, and spirit. She's 99, never had major surgery or trauma until this point in her life... and yet, nothing stops her. I feel so blessed and humbled to have such a godly example in my life. I love her dearly.
  • Favorite Substitute Moment Thus Far: On the 18th, I subbed for a teacher at my favorite school (for her 2nd grade class). During the morning, just when I got the class transitioned to reading time, a student spotted a beautiful vibrant rainbow outside. Of course, the entire class had to rush to the window and see the stunning sight. I couldn't resist either-- so for a couple of minutes the class and I "ooohhhed" and "awwwed" at the gorgeous rainbow. I loved standing at the window with 22 kids beside me chatting away. They were captivated. So was I. Such a peaceful, beautiful moment. I most definitely was praising God for that time! That is a moment I will treasure in my heart forever. And it taught me to give kids time to just be kids. :)
  • Thanksgiving: Had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family. This year our gathering was quite small-- only 10 of us total: Granny, two cousins (plus the husband of one), my aunt and uncle, my sister, mom and dad. For once, I think we all had a complete conversation with whomever we talked with. haha Not typical but just perfect! The food was delicious, the time together was relaxing, and the laughter was abundant. So much to be thankful for!
  • First Ever November Christmas Tree: While it isn't a huge event, it most certainly must be noted that this is the first year that we have gotten our Christmas tree in November. Since I'm working until-the-cows-go-home in December, we had to take advantage of the 28th- my last Sunday off of work for awhile. Mom, Sarah, her boyfriend and I found a good tree and hauled it home on Vanna White. Now our house is decorated from head-to-toe, as is the outside! It's fun and yet somewhat amazing that the holidays are here.
  • Learning the Art of Patience: I think I'm understanding more of why God blessed me with my little part-time job... As of now, He is teaching me what it means to be truly patient. Honestly, my patience is only good when it comes to teaching children or being around them. The more I work at this job, the more I realize how impatient I really am. It's a tough lesson to learn and I have a long ways to go in improving that part of myself. And the only way to do that is through lots of prayer and reading His Word! And a few deep breaths here and there... ;-)
So... I think that concludes the important parts of November, if you're interested. haha I hope and pray that all of you have been blessed this season, and that the Christmas Season will be even better!

1 comment:

Simply Authentic said...

Patience is hard for many of us and it tends to be one of those ongoing lessons that God continues to instill. ;) Your moment subbing sounded amazing and it's wonderful that it was so ingrained in your memory and experience. Thanks for sharing and no worries about feeling similar---we're family after all! ;)