Monday, October 11, 2010

C25K: Week 6 & 7 Update

I'm happy to say that today I finished the 7th week of the Couch to 5k Running program! Yiiiipppiiie! Had I not gotten sick in September, I would probably be close to finishing Week 8. Oh well, I'm just happy that I haven't given up and am totally enjoying running. I look forward to it and can't wait to be out in God's amazing nature. I always feel so refreshed afterwards, like I can breathe more deeply. Ahhh....

Since I missed out on running for about 10-12 days in September, my running days have changed. I'm trying to get back on to the Monday, Wednesday and Friday plan. It has taken a few days to get back into that rhythm due to my work schedule and other activities. That reminds me of something I would like to mention about the C25K... I love how it is such a solid plan and yet if I need to, I can make adjustments. Ideally I would run MWF and then take the weekend off. However, after I got better I knew I just needed to get out there before I lost my motivation. I didn't want to repeat my mistake of quitting altogether like I did earlier this year!

So to give you an idea I stopped running on Sept 17th (a Friday). I didn't run again until Sept 29th, which was a Wednesday. On the 29th I did Day 2 of Week 6. Since I didn't want to wait all the way again until Monday to run, I finished the 3rd day of that week on Saturday, October 2nd. Oh wow that was quite the run!! That was probably the best run I have had in months. I don't know where I got the energy or what it was. I'm guessing it was all the pent up energy in my legs (they were like coiled springs) from when I was sick! I think it also helped that the sunshine was out- I always feel an extra mental boost when I have it beating down on me.

On that day I did a different running route too-- I finally conquered a large hill I've been wanting to "crush" for so long. It's symbolic to me and it's a very challenging running route. I just had to get up and over it! So glad I did! Next week when my running time increases, I think I'll try and smack it down again. I don't let hills intimidate me! ;-)

Anyway, here is what my running schedule has been like for these two weeks... I strongly encourage you to do this running program!

Week 6
Day 1

5 minute brisk warm-up walk
Jog 1/2 mi or 5 minutes
Walk 1/4 mi or 3 minutes
Jog 3/4 mi or 8 minutes
Walk 1/4 or 3 minutes
Jog 1/2 mi or 5 minutes

Day 2

5 minute brisk warm-up walk
Jog 1 mi or 10 minutes
Walk 1/4 mi or 3 minutes
Jog 10 minutes

Day 3

5 minute brisk warm-up walk
Jog 25 minutes

Week 7 -- same for all 3 days

5 minute brisk warm up-walk
Jog for 25 minutes (~2.5 mi)


And there ya have it! Next week I run 28 minutes (or ~2.75 mi) for all 3 days! :) Happy running ya'll!

No comments: