Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Happy Birthday Papa

Nestled into a corner of the New Year.... in between the fading low hum from the holidays and the distant bursting blooms of fragrant roses was a celebration that happened for 16 years of my life.

For all those years, I celebrated my birthday with an exquisite human being, Papa. Today is his birthday, which I why I'm writing a post of rememberance. And tomorrow is mine. I have always loved that our birthdays are right next door to each other. If he was still here he would be turning 101.

Most years, there was a big family party around the first weekend of February. I loved gathering together with all of my family and being with Papa. I particularly enjoyed the fact that we shared the attention, as being in the center has never really been my cup of tea.

I'll always remember what it felt like to be with him. I loved his study strong hand on my shoulder and the way he held me close.

Twenty-five is a big milestone year for me and while I've missed him terribly on every birthday that has passed, I miss him even more now. I almost want to ask "I wonder what he would say to me this year?" but I don't think I need to. He would put his arm around me and with or without words say: you're enough. He would pat me lightly on the shoulder and reiterate that again. Who I am today, tomorrow, and in the future-- I am enough. And that is good.

Happy Birthday Papa :) I'd pick every rose for you.

Credit: Carl Christensen, his shop at Etsy

No comments: