Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday to Friday

I'm finally catching a nice quiet moment... Ahh... I'm enjoying having some space to myself and being able to listen to some relaxing music. I have missed not writing as much this month since it has been so crazy. Oh well, such is life huh? Makes me more thankful for this lovely evening (besides the fact that I'm trying to fight off potential cold symptoms!).

Since I feel like this past week, Friday to Friday has been a blur I am just going to list things by days.

--Last Friday: Went to the epic football game with our home team against the private school. That was a great start to the weekend!

--Saturday: Saw the movie "Legends of the Guardians." Very good by the way! I was very impressed with the graphics. Plus, the owls were oh so cute. The story line was good as well :)

--Sunday: Went to see my friend Jennifer play handbells at her church. I've been wanting to see her play for months now. Finally had an opportunity to do that, which was very fun. I also really enjoyed her church too. I loved how they played hymns and contemporary songs-- I think that's a good combination. I like hymns because they are usually pretty convicting, which causes me to think a lot. At her service they played "My Only Crown (Fairest Lord Jesus)." I love how it uses nature to convey the greatness of Jesus and His amazing power. Here are the lyrics...

Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,
O Thou of God and man the Son,
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul's glory, joy and crown.

Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
Now and forever more be Thine.

What I thought about most as I sang this hymn was, "Is Jesus TRULY my soul's joy and crown?" Certainly makes you think about life's priorities. That question stuck with me all week.

Monday: I ended up substituting all day at my favorite elementary school. I subbed in the morning for the 1st grade teacher, which was a blast. All of the kids in her class were from the class I student taught in last year. It was so nice that they saw me as a teacher and were respectful. Of course, that was a the morning too. And as I've experienced, the it is much easier to sub in the mornings than the afternoons! haha It's amazing how the energy level changes after lunch. This is more so for if you sub for one class all day. My guess is though this is a general pattern whether or not there is a substitute. Anyway, as soon as I finished my morning job, my mentor teacher asked me if I was available to sub for her in the afternoon. So I ended up teaching her kinders! At first I felt sort of out of rhythm with how to do everything but then it all came back as the day went on. :)

Tuesday: Just had class in the evening-- miraculously I was able to get my take home midterm done for it too. That was one of the hardest tests I've done in a long time! Yucky linguistics stuff. Glad to have that behind me now!

Wednesday: Worked at my part-time job. It felt strange to be back there because I hadn't worked for a week. I'm glad I got to see the changes in the store and get caught up with my manager.

Thursday: I subbed again and at my favorite school! :) This time I was in a 1st/2nd grade split. The class was pretty challenging in terms of behavior. Thankfully I knew most of the kids from subbing last year and from my mentor's kindergarten class. We all made it through the day somehow! Even through the firedrill... oh boy. haha That's one thing you learn from teaching: sometimes all you can do is just go with the flow!

Friday (today!): Today has been my day to unwind. Thank goodness. I could feel one of my tonsils acting up yesterday, which had me a little concerned. This morning when I woke up I definitely felt like I had the beginnings to a cold. In hopes of fighting it off I've been sucking on Cold-Eeze and drinking Airborne. I'm planning on getting into bed after I finish this post, read a little bit and then crash. I'm going to visit a friend and my Granny this weekend so I don't want to be feeling miserable. Crossing my fingers that the natural remedies do the trick! ;-)

Hope you all are doing well and staying healthy! I need to catch up all my blog reading one of these days!

No comments: