Monday, October 3, 2011

C25K Redo: Halfway There

PROGRESS
  1. a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.
  2. developmental activity in science, technology, etc., esp. with reference to the commercial opportunities
  3. created thereby orto the promotion of the material well-being of the public through goods, techniques or facilities created.
  4. advancement in general.
  5. growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.
  6. the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.
  7. Biology. increasing differentiation and perfection in the course of ontogeny or phylogeny.
  8. forward or onward movement: the progress of the planets.
  9. the forward course of action, events, time etc.
  10. an official journey or tour, as by a sovereign or dignitary.
~
I am making progress!!

I am thrilled to say that today was my first day running without walking. Not only that but for 20 straight minutes (okay to be technical I did 21 because I hit the button on my timer accidentally). That's right, I have made it to Week 5 and completed it. Bring it on Week 6!!

The run today was challenging, though surprisingly better than the previous workout, which consisted of this:

(Workout 2 on Week 5)
-- brisk 5 minute warm up
-- 8 minutes jogging
-- 5 minutes walking
-- 8 minutes jogging

I think the reason why this workout and others have been harder is due to the fact that the heart rate changes so much. That's probably the point I am guessing.... Ah ha, so there is wisdom in some of these seemingly torturous days. haha Nah, it isn't that bad but there have been a few rough workouts.

Anyway, I am happy with being where I am and the condition of my body. I love that I am making progress. That's a good active word.

Part of my joy comes from learning how to be flexible in achieving my running goals. As a I mentioned a couple of days ago, I was recovering from a seasonal cold and didn't feel too great. Since I lacked energy I didn't run for nearly a week. That was pretty much what happened last year... but this time is different. I had to tell myself: "So you're sick for a few days, when you are better get back on the plan!" So I did and I am picking up where I left off. Am I running every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (like I wish- so organized!)?! No. Am I running exactly 3 days per week and following the program to a T? No.

Sometimes I run 4 straight days in a row, other times I don't run for 3 days. When I run varies.

That's the joy though. I am doing it regardless of everything else. When something is a priority, you really do learn how to make it happen. Not new news either, but this is something I want ingrained into my brain. I thought I understood last time how to follow a plan and stay determined. Obviously not.

So, I didn't do so well last time but I am trying again! That's the beauty of plans and goals-- if we really want to get somewhere we have to make adjustments around the road blocks and unforeseen hurdles. We may have to veer a bit to the side, jump higher, or crawl on our bellies... doesn't matter. The point is that we keep on going the direction to where we want to be.

~


(Now on a side note: If I could just apply this to every area of life, like reading the Bible consistently I would be a much better human being. Hey... this is a start right?!)

No comments: