Thursday, September 16, 2010

C25K: Week 5 Update

"Running is a great metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."
--Anonymous

I completed the 5th week of the Couch to 5K Plan yesterday! The last day of training in Week 5 consists of a 20 minute run, no walking. Yesterday was the first day of running non-stop. It was also raining like cats and dogs so I felt like I was doing two sports at once: swimming and running. haha I enjoyed it though-- the air was fairly warm (but muggy) so I was able to run in my shorts. I am always happy to not have to use my long running pants!

The only negative part of yesterday's run was that I started to "over-think." Usually my mind has been fairly quiet when I've been running so it was kind of strange. When I was nearing the last 5-7 minutes of my run I had to stop for about 30 seconds. I was thinking too much about a funny sensation I was having (most likely an odd feeling due to eating yogurt a couple of hours prior to the run).... so I slowed down and walked a little bit. Once I got myself mentally organized I pushed onwards for the last few minutes. I made up for the those 30 seconds too; I was determined to have a complete 20 minute run. I guess that is all that matters is that you get yourself together and keep going.

Truly, I can't believe it has been five weeks since I started the program. From what it looks like, I'll be finishing the plan in early October. I'm contemplating doing this race called "Run Like Hell" that is at the end of next month. I would love to celebrate the end of the C25K with a race.

And here is what the 5th week of the plan looked like...

Friday (10th)
5 minute brisk warm-up walk
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

Monday (13th)
5 minute brisk warm-up walk
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)
Walk 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Jog 3/4 mile (or 8 minutes)

Wednesday (15th)
5 minute brisk warm-up
Jog 2 miles (or 20 minutes)
*No walking!
Side note: calculated my run on www.mapmyrun.com and found out I went ~1.98 miles. So yeah, that's pretty much 2. haha

Yes, so that's how that week went. I'm starting on Week 6 tomorrow!! By the end of Week 6 I'll be jogging 25 minutes. I really need to find a new route... hmmm...

Happy running (or exercising if you aren't a runner)!!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

The treadmills over here provide endless running opportunities! ;-)

We should seriously go running together sometime, though.