Saturday, May 21, 2011

Part I: Response to the 'End of the World'

I'm starting this blog at 7:22PM. Wow, really? Guess that means the world is still turning and life is continuing like it has been for so many years. As usual, it is now raining again in the good ol' Pacific Northwest... So I guess this means that today is just a typical day.

When I initially heard of May 21st being the end date for the world I made some jokes with my friends. A good portion of this "prophecy" (ha) of Harold Camping is quite laughable. I mean, come on.... seriously?! You think God is going to return on your watch? 

However, on a more serious note I have two responses to this ridiculous "prediction." First of all, I believe in a God who is infinitely more powerful than a human prediction. I believe in the One who created everything so incredibly huge to everything that is so magnificently small. He created humans in His image--- He knows our heart, thoughts, soul, dreams, goals, and the amazing intricate functions of the human body. He watches over the animals grazing in the safari in Africa, He sees the little butterfly on the leaf, the morning dew on the country fields, the fish swimming around the Great Barrier Reef, the molecules in every cloud, the suffering of humans all around the world, the homeless man begging on the street..... Oh, I could go on and on. My point being, this is the God who "they" say was coming back today (and at 6pm apparently). Why would such an incredible amazing God come back when a human says He is supposed to? If God is that predictable why fear Him at all? Why get so panicked? 

Jesus clearly stated that His return to earth would be impossible for anyone to predict, "However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows" (Matthew 24:36)*. Because He said so, I believe it. He can come back at anytime... any hour... And that is why He also says this, "You also must be ready all the time. For the Son of Man will come when least expected" (Matthew 24:44)*. He even tells us how to be prepared... 

If anything, this ridiculous prediction has been a good reminder to me and has given me good opportunities to share my faith. I feel sad for people who have been so mislead by this prediction. I think that it is a believer's calling, to show others love and compassion not to scare others. Yes, I firmly believe in the Lord returning to earth unexpectedly, but I also am comforted because He has left us a great plan of preparedness in the Bible. The most beautiful love letter ever written....

(Part II to be in a new blog post)

*Bolded/underlined for emphasis

1 comment:

<3 Andrea <3 said...

We are totally on the same page. Well said, Love! :)