Monday, May 30, 2011

Relaxing Memorial Day

"I thank God for my life, and for the stars and stripes, may freedom forever fly, let it ring... Salute the ones who died, the ones who give their lives so we don't have to sacrifice everything we love...." - Zack Brown Band, Chicken Fried


This has been a fabulous day! I feel so relaxed and refreshed. Really, since Friday, I have had a really good few days and feel so blessed. I'll talk about the overall weekend tomorrow-- right now I'm going to talk about Memorial Day through pictures.

About 9am I met up with a friend and we spent some time hiking/walking in Forest Park. I have been wanting to get up there in the worst way! Thank goodness, the weather was just right... partly sunny and no rain. Also the temperature was good even as we walked underneath the tall, tall trees. I just loved it when the sunshine illuminated all the ferns, little yellow flowers, and leaves on the trees. So beautiful! :) Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera with me (gasp!), but I will make sure to have it with me next time.

I have to note though, I am impressed with how well I did considering I haven't had much physical activity for awhile. My friend walks fairly fast (I do too normally but this was over a variety of terrain) but I was able to keep up with the pace. The hardest part was the little section getting on to the main trail-- it was somewhat steep and uneven. Once my body was warmed up (legs, heart and all), I was able to do just fine. We walked on the main trail for about 30-35 minutes and then turned around at one point to head back. Ah.... so refreshing. Yes, I feel cleansed even if my legs feel like Jello! I'm fairly confident I'll have a good sleep tonight!

Alrighty.... Rest of the day has pictures! In the late afternoon, we had a family barbecue, a Memorial Day tradition.
All the fixings for hamburgers and the tasty sides-- fruit, chips, potato salad and baked beans!
My plate! Mmmm...
I even managed to spill on myself-- I'm a pro at this, FYI.
Nothin' like some Vanilla Cream Root Beer to wash it all down!

Not your average dessert for this All American meal but who can say no to  Dr. Otker's Creme Brulee?
Our evening entertainment consisted of letting the baby cat (who we're now calling Cocoa Puff, will let you know of her official title soon) out of my sister's room or as we call it, the nursery. We haven't been letting her out as much lately because she has been a little meanie to Cheese Puff. We're trying to let them work things out but she seems to be bullying him. Yes, that whipper snapper is beatin' up on our extra large boy! I feel bad for him-- he's been a trooper through this whole integration process. Anyway- I thought that it might help to keep the baby busy playing so she wouldn't bother her brother... So we all played and played with her! Cocoa can do some amazing tricks! At one point she was practically doing flips as she jumped to catch the toys. I got some of her playing on video. Really funny! 


Wild girl!!! 
Cheese Puff appreciated his lil sis being occupied- he dozed off all evening.
 And there you have it!! Now I am going to get ready for bed and crash... Hope you all had a wonderful day and also took time to remember our amazing military men, women and their families. The lyrics by the Zack Brown Band say it all. Thank you.

1 comment:

<3 Andrea <3 said...

it's so funny that you say your girl is beating up on the boy:) our cats were like that too. in my experience, they girls are way more sassy than the boys. they'll get along. it just takes some time.