Saturday, May 21, 2011

Part II: Response to the 'End of the World'

Suffering

suhf-er-ing, suhf-ring ]

--noun
1. the state of a person or thing that suffers.
2. Often, sufferings. Something suffered by a person or a group of people; pain: the sufferings of the slaves.

--synonyms
1. agony, torment, torture; pain, distress.
~
My next response to this end of the world prediction comes in the from of serious frustration and heartache for so many people. When I hear the phrase, "end of the world" I also think about being on the edge of barely surviving. I think about all of those people... those humans like you and I that have suffered so much.

Instantly, my mind goes to the victims of the earthquake that rocked Japan on March 11, 2011. I remember watching the news all day and felt so heartbroken for all those precious lives that had been lost and those that are now forever changed. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be shaken up so much, to have your whole life destroyed and no time to salvage anything... and then to have the fear of contamination from a nuclear plant. To them, that must (and probably still does) have felt like the end of the world. From thousands of miles away, it certainly looked like it. This website has some horrific pictures from that awful day. I just can't imagine... cars looked like kid toys as they floated along the currents of the water, trees snapped in half like they were just sticks, houses ripped from their foundations, people stranded and separated from loved ones, fires, unthinkable amounts of mud everywhere... total devastation.

The heartache I feel also goes out to those who have suffered in the midwest this year. In April, a large number of tornadoes swept through the country destroying so many lives. The pictures/video from the destruction is so hard to see. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to survive one of those massive monsters. Homes completely broken down, pets missing or stranded, people trapped in rubble... Ugh. Not only that but the storms created lots of flooding. What an absolute nightmare. To those victims, how can that not feel like the end of the earth? Their whole lives are turned upside down-- things they have treasured, the homes they loved, the neighbors they cared about, their animals, their livelihood.... Everything is all changed.

So when I hear the phrase "end of the world" I can't help but feel a little anger. Millions in this world have already suffered so much. There is also so much suffering in this world in addition to natural disasters. Right now, someone is suffering. Someone is wondering how they will ever get past what just happened to them.

And yet, some human says that the world is ending today? I think his followers should take some time and talk to the victims of rape, natural destruction, persecution and so many others. Now, those people have been through what is truly horrific and know fear. Surely, they must feel like they are at the very end.

It is humbling (and sad) to think about the end of the world in this way... I feel so fortunate and blessed for all that I have. When I have a bad day it is no where near compared to what someone else has been through.

In another light though, I also have comfort knowing that God is involved in every aspect of life on this earth. While these horrible things are happening to people, He is in the midst of their pain. He is everywhere and in everything. He knows their suffering and loss. They are not alone.

With all this said, the end is not to be determined by humans. God is in control and He will return in a way that glorifies Him.

"...Here on this earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." -John 16:33*

*Bolded/underlined for emphasis
* Dictionary.com was used for the definition of suffering

1 comment:

<3 Andrea <3 said...

I agree. I don't think God will come in a horrific way but more likely in a miraculous beautiful way. You are such a great writer. thank you for sharing :)