Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Better Day

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." --Oscar Wilde

I'm happy to say that today was a MUCH better day. Lots of learning but that means I'm getting somewhere. I also got more of my financial aid loans figured out, which makes me feel a little better. And thank goodness, my hormones are slowly starting to calm down... I hope the next few days continue to go back to "normal." It's exhausting and frustrating being so moody. I don't like it when I'm that way and I know others don't appreciate it either.

So for the positive of the day: I got lots of cashiering practice! I did have issues getting it all organized (ex. you have to get a bag for the merchandise, give the customer the receipt, check for their Hallmark card etc...) but I was still able to complete every transaction no matter how rough it was. Eventually I will get into a rhythm. Oh, and I was left alone on the registers briefly while my manager was in the stock room with the store manager. Nothing happened in that time but it was nice knowing that my manager had the confidence in me to leave me there for a short time.

Really and truly, if I can manage a classroom of kids I don't know in a school I don't know... I can handle this new job (I don't want to sound like a wuss). Definitely not as nerve-wracking as substituting but it's still a learning process with its own set of challenges. Everybody has to start somewhere when they're in unfamiliar territory...

Actually, when I write about this my mind goes to the kids I'll encounter in this coming school year and in the future. I want them to know it's okay to make mistakes; it's how we learn and grow. In order to model that life lesson I need to be accepting of that in all of my experiences too. I don't want to sound "high and mighty" when I write that but it's true: I need to be better at laughing at my mistakes and moving on from them. I've made quite a bit of progress in that area, thanks to student teaching, but like all personal struggles- it takes time!

On that note, I'm going to conclude my entry for tonight... I hope that you all are enjoying the process of learning and growing no matter how challenging it can be. :) Thank you for being a part of my experiences-- I appreciate your insight. I feel so humbled and blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.

No comments: